Newsflash courtesy of SAPA
BCom for Payroll Employees
Would you like to study for a BCom, specialising in Payroll Management? Da Vinci Institute is taking registrations for the next group of students to start this 3 year program. For more information, please contact BComPayroll@accsys.co.za.
Equity and Disabilities
“I recently attended a very interesting workshop conducted by the Department of Labour on Employment Equity and they highlighted on the Codes of Good Practice on Employment of Persons with Disabilities.
I learnt the following from the workshop:
- We need to change our mind shift in how we treat disabled people - that is we need to view them as individuals and not as a collection of people.
- We need to reasonably accommodate and adapt their work environment.
- We also need to monitor the criteria for the recruitment of the disabled persons.
- We may need to ask people if they require additional support (reasonable accommodate).
- We must consult with them to make them feel comfortable in the work environment and we need to adapt our Performance Appraisal forms to allow them to complete their essential functions of their job.
- We must consider including the Code of Good Practices on Employment of Persons with Disabilities into your induction training policies and procedures.
- We must respect their disabled condition and we must not make assumptions about their ability to perform certain tasks.
- There are no definite definitions of disabled people and we are told to be guided by the Technical Assistance Guidelines on the Employment of People with Disabilities.
Many of the delegates who attended the training asked for more examples, so let us unpack some examples for you:
- Albinism is a form of disability
- Bipolar Disorder
Continue reading below.
With thanks to Trish Ryan – Global Business Solutions